DataGrid Optimisation in LC 8.0.0

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Mon Apr 25 11:30:53 EDT 2016

On 2016-04-25 17:21, Terence Heaford wrote:
> Are versions LC 6 and LC 7 different from LC 8 in this regard?

Yes - the IDE in 8 is based around a much more accurate monitoring
system for changes to the object tree. It isn't perfect, and does need
some improvement (with regards working correctly under lock messages)
but generally it is 'better' than before.

Ideally all the IDE updates should be pushed off until 'there is
sufficient time to process them' - i.e. we want to do the equivalent of:

   send "updateIDEPalettes" to me when idle

However, it is going to take a significant amount of reworking of the
engine's core event loop (on 5 different platforms) in order to support
'when idle' (we know this as Peter attempted to do this a few months ago
but it turned out to be a complete rats nest). The best we can do at the
moment is throttle the update messages so that they don't 'overload'
pending messages.

That is potentially the cause of the % slow down you see when doing a
great many LiveCode script object related operations (as the DataGrid
does) in the IDE.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps