recording sound

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Sat Apr 23 23:27:56 EDT 2016

Hi Robert,

I recently had to deal with this as part of moving a Mac-only desktop
app I maintain for a client from LC 6.x to 7.x. My solution (which works
nicely) was to create a standalone 'slave' app using LC 6.6.5 whose only
job is to record sounds. This recorder app is stored in the bundle of
the main 'master' app and is launched in the background when the master
app's 'audio editor' window is opened; then is told to quit when that
window closes. While running, it receives its orders from the main app
via sockets, and sends a response upon completion of every command. That
way we know if it's alive and working.

It handles only a few commands:
     startRecording
     stopRecording
     terminate
     enableLogging -- for testing
     disableLogging -- for testing

Of course to simplify things on the 'master app' side I created a
library containing the commands used by the main app to send recognized
commands to the slave app.

It's fun to see it work!

Best -
Phil Davis

On 4/23/16 4:23 PM, Robert Mann wrote:
> I'm into sound again. I let down a project down 10 years ago, that needed
> good quality compressed audio... And want to check if 10 years afterwards,
> this has become a possibility!!!!
>
> I need to record on mac os desktop machine :
> -- 44100 khz, stéreo 16bit compressed aac etc. ideally mp3 to be able to
> exchange these file easily via the net.
>
> The state i'm in is ::
>
> -- livecode 6.5 mac osX 10.7.4 (my last commercial version)
> => can only record 32000 kHz stereo 16 bit wav none compressed
> -- nothing else works. And compression requires to use some external utility
> like lame (but i can't take the risk to oversee lame installation problems
> on other peoples machines and 2 out 3 friends who tried to install lame
> found some issues).
>
> -- LiveCode Community 7.1.2 / mac os x 10.7: record function just does not
> work, no file is created (same test stack as used with livecode 6.5).
>
> -- LiveCode Community 7.1.3 / mac os x 10.7: record function just does not
> work, no file is created (same test stack as used with livecode 6.5).
>
> is there somewhere a secret command to open up recording function???
>
> I checked that av foundation is said to be incorporated into os X from
> version 7 onwards.
> thanks..
>

> --

Phil Davis