Arrays for lists with multiple lines where item 1 is the same on N number of lines

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Apr 22 07:56:33 EDT 2016

On 2016-04-22 13:38, Kay C Lan wrote:
> I've just Flagged that reply. I should really print it off and mount it
> on
> the wall - that's a very important list. I think I've fallen victim of
> every single one of those and it's always been a complete hassle to
> track
> down because it only ever breaks things once in a blue moon when it's
> also
> pancake Tuesday. To ensure advance hair loss, spend 99% of your time
> with
> the itemDel set to tab so you can't even see if there's a delimiter
> there
> or not!

I can empathise! A fair number of issues which have been raised over the
years come down to one of those specific cases. It has taken quite a
while to distill them down to that - mainly over the refactoring project
and after a very lengthy forum thread on the subject of 'trailing
delimiters'.

The problem with fixing them is that in most cases people will have
coded around them - and thus changing the behavior without some sort of
compatibility mechanism would break a great many lines of script.

> And of course those problems don't just apply to lists, you can repeat
> those last 3 problems with lines (which I guess are just vertical
> lists).
> In the msg box:

Yes - it applies to any 'delimited chunk'. A delimited chunk is a string
which is composed of multiple string elements separated by a delimiter
(whether that delimiter be comma, return, tab or something more esoteric
- like "foo").

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps