LC8 RC1 Dictionary has issues

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Fri Apr 22 01:49:21 EDT 2016

> On 22 Apr 2016, at 3:04 PM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:
>
> On 4/21/2016 9:34 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:
>> Is there a way to get the old dictionary  back?
>>
>> BG? Is your plug in working under 8?
>>
>> Current if you search for a term, the page gets stuck on that term..
>> If you enter a different search term… nothing happens.. You have exit
>> the dictionary and come back to search, Am I doing something wrong?
>
> I had the same problem. It took me a few days to figure out the only thing that changes is the list of terms, which is hard to notice. Whatever you were looking at before remains in the lower pane until you click on a different term.
>
> It might be useful to have more visual cues. Maybe the lower pane should go blank if the new search results don't include the currently displayed one.
>
> There's also a problem with complicated content sections, like the ones for mobileControlSet and mobileControlGet. All the parameters are in a single block, and some items are listed as params that aren't. The old dictionary separated them by control type which made it easier to find what you needed. The current list doesn't always tell you what type of control each param is for, and you have to read through each entry to understand the ones that do.
>
> I don't have time right now to investigate a solution. Today I just toggled between the v7 dictionary and the v8 engine, because it's easier to read.

One handy thing about the new dictionary is you can search for one thing, open it and then search for another thing, open that and you end up with two tabs at the top so you can toggle between them. Quite helpful if the things you need to look at the same time aren’t alphabetically close. By clearing the screen when you search again you will lose that feature probably. The alternative might be to only show the search list when searching (like a sheet) and return to the tabbed view between searches. There is a couple of quirks with the tabs at the top though. If you have a lot open and use the button to move through the list to the right the width keeps changing so the button under your mouse moves. Also I can’t really see a way to close a tab.

Cheers

Monte