US government tells Windows users to uninstall QuickTime

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Apr 15 13:49:58 EDT 2016

RM wrote:

 > This is amazing: not what the US government is telling people to do,
 > but that people are so "sheepy" in doing so.

The perceived political/sociological aspects are beyond the scope of
this list, but to be clear the ongoing program of providing notice of
security vulnerabilities in widely-used systems is beyond doubt a
valuable public service.

It's best when this information is provided by the software vendor
themselves.  But having a public agency also provide notice of security
risks is exactly what we hire them to do.

 > The simple fact is that all versions of Windows are 'compromised'
 > in terms of internet security unless one takes a considerable amount
 > of trouble to harden one's system.

All systems have vulnerabilities, and require prudent use.  Windows
since the v7 kernel forward is pretty good, with most exploits in the
wild being dependent on imprudent user habits, same as with exploits for
Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android.

 > If one does that then Quicktime shouldn't present a problem.

Not necessarily.  The true scope of vulnerabilities in any complex
system is largely unknown.  What becomes known when a complex system
reaches EOL is that once the next vulnerability is discovered it will
remain unpatched.

The unknowns are why it's critically important to only use
currently-supported software.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems