specialfolderpaths on Windows >=8

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Thu Apr 14 15:24:23 EDT 2016

On 4/14/2016 1:33 PM, Klaus major-k wrote:
> Hi firends,
>
> on Wndows XP and 7, I usually to store user preferences in
> ->  specialFolderPath(35)
> ### For all users!
> resp.
> -> specialfolderpath(26)
> ## for the current user only!
>
> Is this still valid for Windows 8, 9 and 10?
> Thanks a lot in advance!

We have a lot of Windows users  of our cross-platform product. Many in
setting where their computers are on university of company networks,
some with remote home directory, and many with various parts of Windows
"locked" down for security. Increasing, I am realizing where Windows or
OSX, desktop OSes are going the way of Mobile OSes with Sandboxing,and
they want  you to place everything in the User's Library, typically the
Documents which is becoming the only place you are still guaranteed to
have access to. Baring having to reduce scope to make deadlines, our
next release will test write access to a list of windows file locations
for an app's files and the last on the list will be Documents. We'll
just create a subfolder with our app name and place prefs and licensing
files and so in there. Eventually I think, we'll just use the Documents
folder.