errorDialog broken?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu Apr 14 10:38:57 EDT 2016

On 2016-04-14 16:22, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> What I get in the message box is just two lines:
>
> - the errorDialog handler in revbackscriptlibrary
> - mouseup from the button that starts the execution path.
>
> What could cause all other scripts to be bypassed to favor one
> particular backscript?

My thinking was that the debugger was doing 'something' which causes the
errorDialog message to no longer be targetted at the object which
generated it and thus it would fall through to the backscript.

> This was interesting:
>
>> That being said, there is a bughancement (I can't quite decide
>> whether it should be considered a bug or not - it is how the
>> engine's debugger has always worked after all) here to have
>> throwing of errors work the same way in the debugger as other
>> dev tools. i.e. The debugger should break when a throw occurs,
>> but then not actually interrupt normal processing when you
>> continue to execute.
>
> Doesn't sound related to what I'm seeing with the odd message path for
> errorDialog - could it be?

When the script debugger is active, errors indirect via a different
message (traceError) - so my hypothesis was that the debugger is
intervening and causing the target of the errorDialog message to change
so that your button is no longer in the message path, and thus it falls
through to the backscript handler. Of course, this is all purely
conjecture at the moment - I haven't had a chance to check it directly
yet today!

To be fair, there definitely sounds like something fishy is going on
here so could you file a bug report with your findings and we can look
into it more deeply.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps