Plugins vs. the Mac app bundle

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Apr 13 12:57:36 EDT 2016

Paul Hibbert wrote:

 >> But frankly, even then I'd think twice about modifying signed files.
 >> Bypassing security is rarely advantageous.
 >
 > I wasn’t making the changes to bypass any security issues, I just
 > wanted to modify the menus slightly, I didn’t even think about code
 > signing and didn’t see any problems after making the changes.

Not your intention of course, but very much the intention of Apple to
prevent that.

But you're already exploring other means so it looks like you're set:

 > When I found out how easy it is to add the shortcuts to the menus I
 > just wrote a little routine to update the new version - run once then
 > forget it.
 >
 >> Time and again, as we explore IDE customization we come back to
 >> the same solution:  write scripts that modify things on the fly
 >> in memory.
 >
 > I tried this too, but then when I quit the app it just asked me if I
 > wanted to save the modified stack, if I agreed it just threw an error
 > because of the permissions problem, maybe I approached it wrong.

If you want to share your code here I'll bet we can pin down which part
triggers the "dirty" flag.

Since you've already scripted your changes, having them run in a plugin
on startup rather than attempting to alter the bundle contents will make
everything work well, once we take care of that save prompt.

But I know it's doable:  my devolution plugin makes a lot of changes to
revMenubar on startup, and I've not seen a save prompt yet.  I'll bet we
can figure out how to tailor your script to do the same.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems