Default tool on open stack

Peter M. Brigham pmbrig at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 08:16:27 EDT 2016

On Apr 12, 2016, at 8:02 AM, Mark Waddingham wrote:

> On 2016-04-12 07:07, Tim Selander wrote:
>> Hi!
>> That worked! Many thanks, Peter.
>> Though I agree with Roger, the default tool should be a preference somewhere.
>> I'm making little utilities to use at work, and the staff that use
>> them are always befuddled when they try to click a field to enter
>> text, but the whole field gets selected and pushed around the screen
>> instead.
>
> A potentially better solution (which insulates them entirely from changing tools!) would be to either send your tools to your colleagues as plugins (which they put in the My LiveCode/Plugins folder), or send them to them after setting the 'style' property of your tool stacks to "modeless". (In the latter case you can set the style back to "topLevel" to edit).
>
> In either case, the stacks will load into the IDE permanently in browse mode.

That takes care of Tim's situation, but the general case of defaulting to the pointer tool is still an annoyance. If LC is not already running and I double-click on a stack to open it, then after the IDE loads and then my stack loads I get the pointer tool. Luckily I locloc all my buttons and fields or I'd be moving things around inadvertently until I remember I have to change to browse mode. I would love to be able to change this behavior in LC preferences.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig