Error: Unable to open the database file

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 15:13:20 EDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 10:38 AM, Ray <ray at linkit.com> wrote:

> So Richard, what did you end up going with when neither sqLite nor mySQL
> worked out for you?

postgreSQL

It's more mature in some ways than mySQL, but more importantly, I can give
compound transaction (there's a 500+ statement query on client opening).
It also has more advanced "replication" across multiple installations,
although I haven't gotten near implementing that yet.

It's also a free database, and is MIT license instead of GPL.  It's used
within OS X, but I installed it separately after misadventure with OS X
server--apple changed major release of OS X on a minor release of server,
leaving things tea din the water and requiring reinstallation of an older
version just to export the db . . .

I think that postgres is also the only one of the three being discussed
that has a true boolean type, but that doesn't matter for most applications.

Also, if you find yourself crossing back and forth, you need to keep track
of things like each db representing true and false differently, and such
things.  I use an in-memory SQLite for the client, but postgres for the
server. After some experimenting, I stopped storing the data fields on the
server, instead having fields for datetime, key, type (I have multiple
tables in memory), and just storing INSERT commands in it (all the
processing is actually done on he client.  I *could* use an array [and at
one point did], but "SELECT . . . WHERE" is *so* much easier to write than
looping through arrays . . .)

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462