Volunteer github guru for documentation submissions?

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 21:41:21 EDT 2016

Mark Wieder wrote:
>But I do want to say that there's fascinating reading in
>https://github.com/livecode/livecode/pull/3518#issuecomment-205199749

If you've had a look at that thread you'll see some of it is related to the
Instructions for using the Web Interface to access the Docs on Github. As
you'll note Ali is EXTREMELY receptive to any comments on improving them to
make it easier for the Gitphobic to successful get on and do simple
amendments

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 7:22 AM, Alex Tweedly <alex at tweedly.net> wrote:
> I followed Ali's
> instructions cautiously and slowly, hit [two minor bumps]
>
> I even took the opportunity to practice with a real example - and fixed
the
> minor issues with the instructions, so anyone else following them now
should
> have an even smoother experience.

Thank you!

But for those who are Gitphobic I can also assure you that if you mention
any issues you have following the instructions to Ali, with clear
instruction on how to improve the guide to remove any ambiguity or head
scratching, he'll implement them immediately.

> So if you haven't done it yet - give it a go. Fill in the Contributors'
> Agreement, find some minor issue in the docs to improve, set aside 20-30
> minutes and go for it!

And that should be just the first time. From then on any further amendments
should go much much quicker.

> If anything does go wrong, either the experts on the use-list or the
helpful
> guys at Livecode will help you through :-)

Also, stating the obvious, you CAN'T break anything. If you think you've
completely botched something and completely messed up a document, because
it's Git all the previous versions are safely stored so you (or the team)
can easily restore the last usable version.

With trepidation I will also mention that the above thread also talks a lot
about the many anomalies (errors) with the documents; it's grown to a
daunting list. What I want to say is that this should NOT put anyone off
contributing. The way I see it there are two ways to contribute: 10 people
can each contribute 10% of a documents corrections - each one focusing on
whatever their pet peeve is. OR, you can attempt to cover 100% of errors.
Because of my work/internet/spare time situation, I want to attempt to
correct as many issues in one pass of a document as possible - but I can't
spell, I don't do Windows or Linux, so I know I can't achieve 100%. But in
the end it doesn't matter if all you do is just spelling errors, or just
Linux examples, or you attempt to correct Parameters AND References AND
Associations AND Tags; the result is the same - every little bit means the
documents are better.