Widgets' Use Cases and Bytes Added to App

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Apr 5 12:49:53 EDT 2016

<http://droptools.sonsothunder.com/>

 > I have been known, once of twice, when tracing livecode scripts,
 > to loose track of where I was and edit a script of a customer
 > control groups when I didn't mean to. A widget sort of insulates
 > you from that.

...by virtue of impossibility. :)

That is, you *can't* edit a Widget in LC at all at the moment, so it's
essential that a Widget be thoroughly debugged.

If a custom control is written in a similarly airtight way we should
never need to worry about its inner working either.

But in a sense, this is a feature of custom controls more than a
weakness:  being native to LC Script, they lend themselves to one-off ad
hoc tasks, easy to create whenever you need 'em.

This means you'll be writing them, debugging them, and in the course of
that will need to edit their scripts.  But the same is true of a Widget,
or anything else made in any language:  until it's been thoroughly
debugged it will need to be revised.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems