Script Only Stack Architecture

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Apr 1 10:50:57 EDT 2016

Kay C Lan wrote:

 > On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>
 >> That's precisely why I advocate maintaining the Dictionary as
 >> an essential reference (as in "essence"); it should be easy
 >> to link to relevant tutorials and guides for more complete
 >> discussion when desired.
 >>
 > Could you give me an example of a Dictionary entry that has a link
 > to a Guide or Tutorial?

So many things in my life would be much simpler if "advocate" meant the
same as "have been given authority and resources to have done it".

But unfortunately my world is not so simple. :)

So in short, "not yet".

 > Would they just be included in the Reference Tag or as a basic html
 > link to Tutorials?

Matt's request (in keeping with many others') is that we try to avoid
requiring users to go to a generic Search or index to find things, that
we "put the information where they need it", and I've wholeheartedly agreed.

To support that I would advocate that such links would be included
directly in the Markdown of relevant Dictionary entries.

As for the alternative, in v8 I believe all tutorials and guides are
already listed in the Help index, no?

 > Whilst I agree with you in principle, and that is certainly the
 > destination we need to be headed

Glad to hear it.  Peter Brett and I have some similar ideas about how to
take advantage of the new docs format, now that the team has completed
the considerable task of converting everything to Markdown.  If you like
that idea I'm sure you'll like many of Peter's even more.

 > at this point in time I've got to agree with Matt.

As I have.  I've very explicitly and repeatedly encouraged people here
to have exactly what they want by making it so:

    As I've noted here before, this blog post offers some helpful
    guidance for community members to get started contributing to
    the documentation to make it more of they want:
    <https://livecode.com/putting-the-you-in-documentation/>

The only place Matt and I disagree is the suggestion that I write it.

My work with LC is as a volunteer, not an employee.  And since my own
experience has me inclined to try to meet the need expressed in this
thread through different means, I'm not able to guess what other people
may find ideal for this.

In short, I have neither the time nor talent to do what's been requested
of me.

But I have encouraged others to do so.  And I continue to believe that
adding whatever notes to a Dictionary entry one feels will prevent a
similar question from coming up in the future is best done by doing it,
or at least submitting it as an enhancement request to the bug queue for
someone else to do, as opposed to just writing it here in a mailing list
where it's almost guaranteed to be forgotten.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems