Saving Russian text to a file?

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 05:55:36 EDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 9:31 AM, Bruce Pokras <dangmacguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a desktop app for Mac OS X and Windows that will display Russian
> text in a field without any problem. However, I have a user in Russia who
> would like to be able to save that text to a file. My attempts have mainly
> resulted in question marks where the Cyrillic characters are supposed to
> be. Is there a particular way in which I should be saving the text to file?
>
> I assume you are saying that when you view the text file with another
program that it appears 'different'. The answer is use LC 7 and textEncode
and textDecode. See the entry in the Dictionary:

It is highly recommended that any time you interface with things outside
LiveCode (files, network sockets, processes, etc) that you explicitly
textEncode any text you send outside LiveCode and textDecode all text
received into LiveCode. If this doesnt happen, a platform-dependent
encoding will be used (which normally does not support Unicode text).

It is not, in general, possible to reliably auto-detect text encodings so
please check the documentation for the programme you are communicating with
to find out what it expects. If in doubt, try UTF-8.