Release 8.0 DP 5

sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Thu Sep 24 05:00:05 EDT 2015

Thu Sep 24 05:31:42 CEST 2015
Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net wrote:

> No kidding.
> It's rare that a subsequent release is worse than a previous one, but
> this is completely unusable for me on linux.

For specific features of Livecode - as in the case of imagedata
processing - such deterioration is not rare, but seems to be the
standard in the development process. I suppose this is surely not
intended, but rather a result of concentrating on more urgent features
(not only from the perspective of the team) and thereby possibly
neglecting the interrelatedness of newly added functions with existing
ones. As Richard Gaskin recently aptly remarked, image processing is at
present not a "sweet spot" in Livecode development.

I have described this in several of my recent posts, showing the
continuing speed loss (and more severe side effects) from version LC 4.6
through LC 7.  Depending on the complexity of the various scripts, image
processing compared between 4.6 and 7 can be on the average 3 to 15
times slower. LC 8 again adds another 10 to 20 percent to the poor
performance of LC 7.

As a tolerable performance standard happened to exist in former versions
of Livecode, it must be technically feasible to revert to at least such
a standard (LC 4.6) without the need of extra funding in the new
"Feature Exchange" program.

For the Feature Exchange program I could  think of improvements like to
add Lua-functionality to Livecode image processing and the ability to
use Photoshop-compatible filters. Thierry Douez has experimented with
Lua externals (for Windows and Mac) as far back as 2010.

Wilhelm Sanke

---