Linux software suggestions

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sun Sep 20 12:17:21 EDT 2015

On 09/20/2015 01:52 AM, AndyP wrote:

I haven't run into problems with linux Mint 17 / cinnamon, but otherwise
I agree with Richmond's recommendations. And Peter's to go with a 64-bit
distro (whichever one you choose). You'll probably find that most of the
software Richmond recommends is already installed, but if not, apt-get
or the gui version (name escapes me at the moment) are quite easy to use
to get new software and keep it up to date.

I do use FileZilla for ftp transfers, as it helps cut down on the number
of things I need to keep in my head. I'd also recommend either the Atom
text editor or Sublime Text (or both) as code editors. And I find
Wireshark and VirtualBox absolutely indispensible, but I realize that
not everyone needs either one.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com