Screen sharing?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Sep 17 12:07:53 EDT 2015

rjd318 wrote:

 > Hi all! How would one go about incorporating a screen/window sharing
 > feature in a Livecode application? I did some preliminary searches
 > with almost nothing returned so would this be something best left to
 > an established screen sharing technology like gotomeeting or join.me?
 > Would it be possible to get Livecode to start up a sharing program as
 > an integrated part of the application? Anyway, I realize this sounds
 > like fragmented thinking but I just got asked by coworkers (who are
 > c#/c++) if it was possible with a language like Livcode. btw I'm not
 > a programmer here at work but in networking so I'm hoping for some
 > ideas to investigate or maybe someone in our midst already tackled
 > screen sharing =).

I think your co-workers may be toying with you. :)  With LiveCode 8's
ability to call native OS APIs you could conceivably implement anything
your C++ friends can - but your C++ friends are unlikely to be writing
their own code for that either.

There are so many non-trivial considerations to take into account, from
compression to security, that most folks license code from someone else
or, as you suggested at the outset, just use another app dedicated for
that purpose.

You can share screen shots in LC very easily, but live screen output is
a very complex problem few tackle by themselves, in any language.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems