This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Thu Sep 10 17:18:40 EDT 2015

> On 11 Sep 2015, at 2:59 am, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
>
> You've identified the crux of the problem well:  LiveCode was never designed with modern FOSS methods in mind.   Indeed, it predates most modern FOSS workflows we take for granted today.  This is one reason LiveCode Builder is being designed as it is.

Hey guys. Just to keep the discussion in a bit of perspective with regard to whether we are able to contribute to LiveCode I did some file counts.

This counts the total number of files in the repo skipping those in the git directory
find . -not \( -path ./.git -prune \) -type f | wc -l
   20227

These two counts summed are the files we are worried about although I know there’s some files with the .rev extension that are actually plain text. Not sure how that came about...
find . -name "*.rev" | wc -l
     145
 find . -name "*.livecode" | wc -l
      56

Here’s the docs
find . -name "*.lcdoc" | wc -l
    2611

And here’s the libraries written in LiveCode Script that you can contribute to
find . -name "*.livecodescript" | wc -l
      91

LiveCode Builder anyone?
find . -name "*.lcb" | wc -l
      61

Now given these counts and ignoring some other binaries counted in the repo count there’s roughly 99% of the repo files we can freely contribute to without encountering these issues. The 2611 lcdocs files that are very easy to write and maintain would be a good start. The livecodescript files are an obvious target and for the more adventurous there’s lcb to do something with.

Cheers

Monte