[OT] Atom Text Editor for Script Editiing - First Impressions

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Sep 4 14:06:18 EDT 2015

On 9/4/2015 2:08 AM, Kay C Lan wrote:
> 6) boilerplates
>      I can type in switch and a little popup will come up

I meant to respond to this one too. Boilerplate is pretty easily added
yourself by use of a frontscript. The frontscript handlers check to see
if the target is the script editor and if so, executes whatever you
want. I have been running my own frontscript with dozens of shortcuts
for about 15 years and it works great. You can have any customized
behaviors or text insertions you want. I know at least a few others are
doing this too.

I do understand that you're asking for a universal change to the editor,
and I think a skeleton switch construct would be a good one, but it
would be difficult to anticipate the variety of needs for every
scripter. So for me, my solution is ideal. It is set up as a plugin that
opens invisibly when LC starts up and inserts itself into the front.
It's so seamless I forget it's there except when I want to add something
to it. Its shortcuts are hard-wired into my brain and I would be lost
without it, it speeds up so many scripting actions.

There are at least a few advantages to having the editor implemented as
a regular stack that responds to normal LC commands. ;) Maybe with
enough interest, the frontscript idea could be generalized to allow
every scripter to add their own boilerplate options, and it could be
shipped with LC.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com