functions may be called as commands in IDE, but not in standalone

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 11:09:46 EDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 8:01 AM, Mark Waddingham <mark at livecode.com> wrote:

> I suspect this is a lingering definition which was somewhere in the
> message path in the IDE.
>
> When the engine looks for what handler to call it checks each stage in the
> message path in order for the pair (handler type, handler name). So, if you
> have (command, myFunc) at one level, and (function, myFunc) at another
> level:
>   myFunc
> and
>   get myFunc()
>
> Will call different handlers.

There is online handler with the name (setPref).  It is in a library
stack.  There is no possibility of another handler of this name; it would
have to come from a several months old backup--and the IDE isn't stable
enough to have a stack from earlier in the morning, let alone months :

Having solved it for my own, I'm not going to worry about this any further
if it can't bite people now . . .

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462