Goodbye stsMLXEditor

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 08:43:13 EDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 6:53 AM, Mark Wieder <mwieder at ahsoftware.net> wrote:

> 'Strict Compilation" doesn't do what you think it does....
> What you really want to do is
> set explicitVars true
>
> Thanks Mark for the explanation. That is very interesting. I've 'Starred'
you response because I'm sure this is on of those gotchas that will catch
me out again.

> Why are there two settings?
>
> The IDE's system scripts are riddled with bugs. If explicitVars were
> enabled then errors would be seen and the team would have to fix them.
> This would take time away from adding bloat^H^Hnew features.
>
> You don't think you're being a bit over dramatic? Whilst I'll accept that
explicitVars would help track down the odd bug, surely there must be a very
large percentage of bug free handlers within the IDE that have been created
by those who don't use Strict Compliation and so have undeclared variables.
So I'm not sure if spending time going through declaring variables in
thousands if not tens of thousands of handlers for absolutely no gain is
any better than the status quo of leaving the IDE in  'Lax Compilation' and
spending the time on tracking down the bugs by other means.