[OT] Atom Text Editor for Script Editiing - First Impressions

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Sep 1 12:59:55 EDT 2015

Kay C Lan wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> What is your favorite Text Editor?
>
> BareBones' BBEdit, but it's FREE little brother TextWrangler would filfill
> all LC Script Editoring tasks. OS X only I'm afraid.
>
> http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/download.html
>
> I always thought that BareBones was a bit of a tongue in cheek
> understatement for such a full featured Text Editor but when I compare the
> 22MB BBedit to Atom's 208MB maybe the BareBones is justified :-)

Ah, yes, I know it well.  Back when I was working exclusively on OS X it
was my favorite editor too.  Very nice editor, almost too good, since it
was feature-complete enough that I never felt the need to consider
upgrading to BBEdit.

When I was splitting my time somewhat equally between OS X and Ubuntu I
started out trying editors available for all three platforms (I need to
work in Windows now and then too), but at the time there were few, and
while Bluefish may have been one of the best of those available for all
three it wasn't up to what I was used to.

Now that the majority of my time is spent in Ubuntu I've been enjoying
Geany, but my longing for a multi-platform text editor has me
considering dusting off the various editors I've built in LC over the
years and getting around to finishing one of them.

I'll keep that as a back-burner option for now, though, until we hear
back from the team on their plans for the optimizations needed in the LC
SE.  I trust they'll want to deliver a great experience for new users
long before they'll be in a position to be able to afford to rewrite the
entire field object as a Widget, and that'll help us a lot too.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems