What is "Open Language"?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu Oct 29 06:43:52 EDT 2015

On 2015-10-29 02:04, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> And you may have noticed the great job Peter Brett has been doing here
> and elsewhere as the main community support leader within the company.
> He's one of their newer hires, having been brought on board just a
> little over a year ago, but he was hired not only for his Linux
> expertise but also his deep understanding of and passion for open
> source process.

Just to correct you here as your statement is actually a huge disservice
to Peter and the skills and knowledge he has.

He was brought on board because he showed a huge interest, ability, and
depth of knowledge in aspects of software engineering for all the
critical areas LiveCode covers and the necessary infrastructure it
requires. Including but by no means limited to: programming language
design and implementation, GUI toolkit architecture, build system
engineering, continuous integration and test system construction,
rigorous engineering process implementation, open source software
communication and community engagement.

I must confess I never take much stock in CVs in terms of choosing
people for software engineering roles. A lot tend to be just lists of
things which people *think* they know - I rarely find them to be in any
way indicative of the knowledge people actually have. I always go by the
technical questions they ask and whether they understand my answers -
Peter passed this test with flying colours :)

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps