What is "Open Language"?

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Mon Oct 26 22:07:58 EDT 2015

Mark-

Well. *This* certainly seems to have hit a nerve.

I would be fine with having everything be "hilite". Or with everything
being "highlight". Or with everything being "blxxqvy". The point of the
original bug report was that there's no consistency in the language.
Sometimes you can use the "highlight" form and sometimes you have to use
the "hilite" form. The problem is trying to remember which is which.

So that's what my pull request fixes.

I agree with what you're saying about the proliferation of synonyms. I'm
not wild about most of the other synonyms in the language either...
"cd", "fld", etc (although I'd hate to give up "loc" and "rect") But
right now we're trying to have it both ways. To my eye the "hilite" form
looks cutesy and unprofessional, but I do understand developers are lazy
and don't like typing, so I'd be fine with that. It's in the
documentation already.

But really... let's move in the direction of some consistency.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com