What is "Open Language"?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Mon Oct 26 15:08:18 EDT 2015

On 2015-10-24 22:07, Geoff Canyon wrote:
> This is the main thing I have been looking forward to for the past
> several
> years. The goal was to allow the addition of truly new syntax and
> functionality to the language. I really wanted this, and widgets is
> what it
> has turned into. Not that widgets aren't a good thing, but I'd really
> like
> to be able to use:
> repeat for each line L in someText with index i
>
> apply myFunction to X until the value converges
>
> apply (+1) to every item of myList where it mod 2 = 1
>
> ...and many, many more.

No - widgets is not what it has turned into. Widgets are entirely
orthogonal - they about extending the controls you can use in LiveCode,
not the syntax (after all having lots of nice syntax is great, but if
you don't have the things you can instruct to do things with it, then it
perhaps isn't very useful).

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps