LC8 Geometry Manager

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Wed Oct 21 03:24:52 EDT 2015

On 2015-10-21 08:08, Kay C Lan wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 4:45 AM, Peter Haworth <pete at lcsql.com> wrote:
>
>> Done - 16248.
>>
>> I've added the following to your Bug Report:
>
> I was the one who added the List post and my comment was wrong - as I
> based
> it on a working Stack which already had populated fields. Working on a
> New
> Stack and moving new empty Label, Field, Scrolling Field, Table Field,
> and
> Scrolling List Field to a blank Card and then opening the Property
> Inspector I see the following:
> But are reversed for Scrolling Field, Table Field and Scrolling List
> Field
> and appear as:
>
> Lock Text
> 3-D

Thanks for the bug report and updates to it. To explain what is going on
here...

The engine only has one type of field - the, well, 'field'. On the other
hand, LiveCode from very early on has presented the user with various
preconfigured field 'types' - label, table field, scrolling field,
scrolling table field.

The new Property Inspector runs on a set of data files which describe
the engine controls along with these 'synthetic' views of the engine
controls (for those of you who are interested - take a look in
Toolset/resources/supporting_files/property_definitions inside the
LiveCode App bundle).

In this case what has happened is that the Tab Stops / vGrid / hGrid
options which used to be available as part of the 'Table' tab for any
field has (incorrectly) only been specified in the 'Table Field'
description (which relates very specifically to the 'revTableField'
frontScript). In previous versions, the 'Table' tab was available to all
field types - but if you turned on 'Table Mode' you then lost the
ability to specify vGrid / hGrid (as this was controlled by the
frontScript). So this is an error in the translation of the previous
property inspectors structure into the new model which should be
extremely easy to fix.

Similarly I suspect the different order of the properties between the
two types of field (3-D / Lock Text) is probably due to a difference in
ordering between the two definition files for 'Label' and the other
(synthetic) field types.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps