LiveCode Server on DreamHost - Help Needed

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Sun Oct 18 14:30:56 EDT 2015

Hi Graham....     One can only use the .htaccess method for each domain at
this point. Andre' (a major trooper) helped me get set up on Dreamhost a
few years ago. We first tried the 'modify Apache' method that's supposed to
work on 'non-shared' servers. It doesn't work on Dreamhost's 'Virtual
Personal Servers' either.

I'm not sure what FTP client you are using but I highly recommend Panic's
TRANSMIT software, especially if you're not so handy with using Terminal to
do things.    All FTP accounts on Dreamhost are SFTP by default and that
enables a few commands like zip and unzip to be executed from Transmit.

Make sure you get the Linux server.

.htaccess files so named will disappear from normal listings so make sure
your FTP client has 'show invisible files' checked.

Next take a look at my diagram of the files placement. You will definitely
have to set the permissions on all files and folders as noted, they won't
expand 'out of the box' perfectly.

http://media.barncard.com/downloads/LIVECODE_SERVER_SETUP.pdf

There are two .htaccess files, one at the top of the domain, and one inside
the folder cgi-bin

the root .htaccess  I use currently is:

AddHandler livecode-script .lc .irev .iRev
DirectoryIndex index.irev index.lc index.html index.php dir.irev video.irev
audio.irev gallery.irev download.irev
Action livecode-script /cgi-bin/livecode-server/livecode-community-server

The directoryindexes  above, second line, show what kind of file will
execute by default in a directory and the action is the executable that
runs when any of the Addhandler parameters describe.   Change
community-server to plain livecode-server in example above, and you don't
need all the DirectoryIndexes.

the .htaccess inside cgi-bin I use is:

Options ExecCGI
SetHandler cgi-script

here's my test script in action:

http://media.barncard.com/livecode-server-test_Color.irev

and zipped source code:
http://media.barncard.com/livecode-server-test_Color.zip

you'll see livecode executed in simple ways.
you have to keep refreshing your browser each time you change something,
and turn off caching in da browser.

have fun. Hope this helps.

it's a bit of a journey ... take your time... and worth it.

I LOVE LIVECODE SERVER btw....

sqb

--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA - Deeds Not Words