function for greatest object in list less than or equal to a value

hh hh at livecode.org
Tue Oct 13 09:42:55 EDT 2015

Similar things are useful for a very specialized statistical
evaluation I have to do soon, so I tested again with LC 7:

There is an interesting difference between LC versions 6 and 7.

The 'direct way' of GC reveals now as clearly fastest.

Tested with one of GC's 12 MB strings on a Mac mini(i5 2.5 GHz),
testString() as below, and a critical value of v=500000000.
The (correct) result is 499999246, used time is in seconds.

[a] LC 6.7.7
repeat-PMB	0.326  <- fastest
repeat-GC	0.350
repeat-hh	0.445
sort-GC		0.985

[b] LC 7.1.0
repeat-PMB	3.562
repeat-GC	1.483  <- fastest, the only one with a factor < 9
repeat-hh      1163.0 <- an ARRAY BUG? :-(
sort-GC   	8.156

-------------------

function testString
   set randomseed to 1444826515