function for greatest object in list less than or equal to a value

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 23:56:46 EDT 2015

The first sort is straightforward, and turns "1,2,4,5,6,8,9" into
"9,8,6,5,4,2,1"

The second sort splits that into two groups. The first group is the entries
that fail the test, the second is the entries that pass the test. Since the
test is ">=", 5 passes the test and goes in the second group. That makes
the result "4,2,1,9,8,6,5"

I think it could also be written as

    sort items of pList by not (each < V)

But I'm guessing that would be a bit slower (maybe not)

It would probably be clearer to do this:

    sort items of pList numeric
    sort items of pList by each < V
    return item -1 of pList

But that adds the burden of getting item -1, i.e. parsing the whole list a
final time. If the engine were optimized for negative items it wouldn't
matter much, but since it's not, I inverted the rest of the statements to
be able to get item 1 at the end.