[ANN] LiveCode List Processor

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 23:36:25 EDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 7:49 AM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
wrote:

> Peter's original problem statement was:
>
>    LiveCode chunking is great for handling lists but, as far
>    as I can tell, is missing forward and backward navigation
>    through lists.

Actually the problem as I read it was:

I decided to convert a small card-based database stack to a “proper”
> database using SQLite. I immediately missed the next/previous card
> navigation features which were ideal for browsing the small database.

So, although all the posts about LC lists might be valid and worth pursuing
I have to wonder, if you've gone to the trouble of converting a multi-card
stack to a db why wouldn't you just use the inbuilt db forte of being able
to maintain a cursor and move next record and previous record for you.

See in the dictionary:

revMoveToPreviousRecord
revMoveToNextRecord

Fast and efficient. The db (be it SQLite or whatever other flavour) opens
up so many other super quick and efficient ways of manipulating your 'list'
of data that I'm sure you'll quickly appreciate that the single card + db
approach offers much more, more easily and quickly compared to the old 1
record per card approach.

Using LCs inbuilt db handling and navigating features is a lot quicker and
easier than writing your own List handling script.

HTH