LC 8 Property Inspector

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Oct 12 16:31:01 EDT 2015

Mark Waddingham wrote:
> On 2015-10-10 22:12, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> Weirdest: Replace the IDE with the best of community components
>> Like the "Weirder" option above, this would be independent of the
>> product build, but would open the door for anyone to do whatever they
>> want.  Bjornke's BVGDocu could replace the Dictionary, Peter's
>> lcStackBrowser could replace the App and Proj browsers, your GLX2
>> editor could replace the Script Editor, etc.
>> It's like the thing I like most about Linux:  although people in the
>> Linux world enjoy arguing about darn near everything, the fact is
>> there's actually little to argue about since the system is so flexible
>> and has so many components available there's no reason why everyone
>> can't have exactly what they most desire.
>
> The obvious option (which is the one we have been working towards in the
> LC8 IDE) is that the IDE becomes a 'framework'. It provides well defined
> extension points, well defined APIs for building IDE components, and a
> well defined mechanism to ensure that changes flow properly so all
> components are kept synchronized.
>
> The IDE framework has to be the arbiter which ensures that two distinct
> IDE components (which could be written and maintained by people who
> never speak to each other) can happily co-exist with each other in an
> end-user's install.

That's an obvious option if we assume there must be only one IDE.  And
from the company's perspective that's a useful assumption, at least in
as much as they need to provide at a solid basic toolkit to accompany
the engine.

The community, however, has more flexibility.

There used to be three IDEs for this engine, and Python, Ruby, and
others have far more.

I've been using my own tools within every xTalk IDE I've used, and as
long as frontScripts work and we pass messages as good citizens do,
there's an opportunity to have LESS dependence on a large IDE framework
rather than more.  Or if we were to be thorough, a fairly slender one.

Tools can be entirely self-contained and fully interchangeable, even
open at the same time, using nothing more than what the engine has
provided for years.

The only questions here are:

1. How do we open them?  Currently third-party tools are relegated to
the Plugins submenu, but crafting a launcher tool rack is simple stuff,
and equally simple to just hide the current IDE's toolbar (which I've
been doing for years - I go weeks at a time without ever seeing it).

2. Make sure the current IDE stays out of the way. This is the harder
part, but not insurmountable, and since the goal of this "Weirdest"
option is to encourage a new community-based exploratory playground of
an IDE, ultimately the monolithic product version would be replaced over
time within this one anyway, at least among the weirdos who like such
things.  And given the number of good tools in the community right now,
it seems there are more than a few weirdos among us. :)

This "Weirdest" option isn't for everyone, and that's very much the
idea, that IDEs are simple enough in a language as flexible as LiveCode
that we can several for every taste.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems