help changing the From address when sending email

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Oct 12 12:54:53 EDT 2015

I don't know if this will help the OP's situation, but here I have a
number of apps that need to send email notifications, and some of them
are running on systems that have no email server installed. Most of
these are for server monitoring so I'm the only recipient, but maybe the
general idea may be useful:

I set up a CGI on one system that I want the emails to be sent from
(which happens to also be written in LC, but it could be Perl, PHP,
Python, bash, etc.) which accepts a recipient address, subject, and
body, along with an obscure hash used for authentication, and puts those
together to send the email from there.

The CGI itself is named very obscurely (e.g. something like
"gfdRRth88ewLYKss.cgi"), so it's unlikely to be guessed by any spiders.
  And even if it were, anyone attempting to use the CGI for spamming
would also need to figure out the hash inputs, and there are enough
zombied Win installs that there are easier ways to hijack machines; this
one just isn't worth the effort :)

Not bullet-proof (nothing is), but reasonably secure and super-easy to
use.  Now I have a single location for notifications that I can use from
any client or server process that needs to send email, without even
needing to have an email server installed.  Sending notifications is a
one-liner anywhere I need 'em.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems