LiveCode is not in the Apple App Store!

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Oct 9 13:54:18 EDT 2015

<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2015-October/219552.html>

 >> --
 >>  Richard Gaskin
 >>  Fourth World Systems
 >>  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
 >>  ____________________________________________________________________
 >>  Ambassador at FourthWorld.com                http://www.FourthWorld.com
 >>

 > I see that "loop forever" you tried to put me in, Richard.  That's not
 > nice.  ;-)

Not my intention. Sorry if it seemed that way.

I just saw that you'd quoted only one of several reasons I'd outlined in
my post about why LC isn't in Apple's app store, and rather than restate
them it seems more expedient to just provide a pointer to the full post.

 > Ok, forget Apple for a minute.  Try the same conversation, but
 > dealing with Ubuntu repositories.  There's plenty of dev software
 > in that app store.

MaxV raised that question in the forums, and then went further to
actually build a .deb package:
<http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20902>

As an Ubuntu user and contributer I like the idea, but as someone
familiar with LiveCode I have a few reservations at this time:

First, LiveCode itself isn't quite up to par with the other great
software available for Ubuntu.  Long before a new user discovers the
bugs we've been logging (with some great work done on them, but much
remains), they'll see that it fits in less gracefully with Ubuntu's
Unity UI than it does even on OS X (UI papercuts have been noted here
before for all platforms).  Once the UX is made as graceful as it can be
I look forward to sharing LC with all my Linux friends.

Second, some aspects of application packaging in Linux are relatively
cumbersome compared to OS X and Windows, as least as far as
self-contained apps like LiveCode go because such things have
historically been rare on that platform.  The .deb format and the
apt-get that work with it are wonderful for what they were designed to
do, but that was years ago.  Today we should expect minimal dependencies
and a streamlined process for creating and managing Ubuntu PPAs.  Big
strides have been made in that area (David Planella and many others
who've contributed to Ubuntu's PPA and Software Center packaging have
been true heroes), but there's ultimately a very big difference between
system components and end-user apps, and the Linux world needs to
migrate to a more self-contained model.

Not having done so yet is one of the reasons so many wonderful apps like
OwnCloud Client, BlueGriffon, and others are popular on Ubuntu but not
in the Software Center.  Those projects have limited resources, and
maintaining a PPA for Ubuntu while also delivering to other platforms
was a bit much for them.  Those projects provide their own repositories
which can be added to apt-get for automated updates, but not using
Ubuntu's PPAs they don't appear in the Ubuntu Software Center.

To address this and other needs, Ubuntu is migrating to Snappy packages,
which encourage self-contained apps with minimal dependencies, the sort
of things we LiveCoders build every day and more similar to how
consumers conceptualize app management in OS X and Windows.

Snappy packages also lend themselves better to multi-device deployments,
better supporting Ubuntu's convergence strategy (a second Ubuntu phone
launched just a couple weeks ago).

Once Snappy is supported in the Ubuntu Software Center, and the LiveCode
experience made as marvelous on Linux as we know it can be, we'll be in
a good place to put the two together.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems