LC 8 Property Inspector

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Fri Oct 9 13:13:58 EDT 2015

I've filed several bug reports over the last couple of years regarding
missing properties, mostly related to propertynames and glad to say they
have all been fixed so things are a lot better now than they used to be.
The propertynames still includes things that don't seem like properties to
me, "abbrev" and "working" for example, but no doubt there's a good reason
for that

Regarding your question on which properties are missing that a developer
needs, the answer for me is all the ones that are no longer returned by the
properties of an object and here's why.

As I've mentioned in other emails on this thread, lcStackbrowser gives
users the flexibility to organize properties into groups.  I do this by
displaying a list of all the properties for a particular object type, from
which users can drag and drop their chosen properties into a group list.  I
get that list from the keys of the properties array for the template for
whatever type of object I'm dealing with, but with this change, the list
was suddenly incomplete.

As an example, the height and width properties are no longer included.
Their values can be derived from the rectangle property which is fine if
you want to recreate an object or use their values for some other reason
but I need their names, not their values.

I ended up writing a handler that goes through the propertynames list and
tries to set each one into each of the object templates to determine which
object types it applies to, a time consuming process that really shouldn't
be necessary.

That's all water under the bridge now but I still don't understand why the
contents of the properties property were changed.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>