LC 8 Property Inspector

Ali Lloyd ali.lloyd at livecode.com
Fri Oct 9 03:35:08 EDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 3:23 AM Mark Wieder <mwieder at ahsoftware.net> wrote:
>It seems from the App Browser / Project Browser and Property Inspector
>arguments that I've been expecting too much, and we really can't have
>alternatives.

I have no idea why you've drawn this conclusion, as I've repeatedly told
you and said elsewhere that this is not the case.

There are two separate issues here:
1) Our out-of-the-box palettes should be as useful as possible for someone
with no plugins. Hence the soliciting of opinion. Disagree? I'm happy for a
million application browsers to exist, I just don't want to maintain them.
I can't understand how you're viewing the idea of seeking to improve the
IDE's palettes as somehow a negative.

2) Making it possible to replace the palettes. Gradually the IDE routes all
palette-related opening through a revIDEPaletteToStackName function. So
once everything goes through that, and we provide a hook to override it,
you will be able to use any stack in place of a given palette.

Moreover the better the data provision for *our* palettes, the more useful
IDE functions there are for replacement palettes to use. Whatever we add to
a given object's inspector properties, for example, is parsed into the
properties array that the IDE library passes to the inspector.

Should a user plugin wish to use that array, adding the tooltip fixes it
for them too. Adding tooltip to the old inspector helps no-one in this
particular regard, as far as I can see.