LC 8 Property Inspector

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Oct 8 14:59:43 EDT 2015

Ali Lloyd wrote:

 > Labelled icons are also possible - we could potentially have a
 > preference setting for one, the other, or both.

Inspectors are very useful in consumer apps, where the range of
properties is often smaller and their scope less broad.

In development tools we often see a Property Sheet that shows all
properties, as opposed to the subset we've had available in all
Inspectors thus far.

Here's an implementation I've been using whenever I need things not
found in any Inspector:
<http://fourthworld.net/revnet/devolution/4W_Props.rev.gz>

The design is largely functional, but suboptimal.  Time permitting it
would group related properties together under collapsible headers.

And when you think about, even if the Inspector were to continue to
limit itself to a subset of object properties, once you start down the
road of horizontal labels the design screams for such an accordion
design anyway.

Using that according design within a scrollable Property Sheet allows
for most of what folks are looking for here:

- Ease of access
- Clear labels for related properties

...and adds something that I don't recall coming up here yet but would
sooner or later:

- Completeness, the ability to see all of an object's properties

The latter is not only very valuable for pros who know about properties
not commonly used enough to have merited inclusion in an Inspector, but
also for newcomers who can learn about the scope of properties in an
object in one place.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems