App Browser versus Project Browser (features)

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Wed Oct 7 17:19:08 EDT 2015

On 10/7/2015 3:58 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> On 10/7/2015 1:22 PM, Mark Waddingham wrote:
>> Far more useful would be constructive criticism of both the Project
>> Browser and the Application Browser. It does seem a little 'silly' to
>> maintain two things which serve essentially the same purpose - so Ali's
>> idea is perhaps the best way forward - what is it that is good and bad
>> about both and is it possible to design something which everybody would
>> be happy with?
>
> The issues would probably become clear if you open, say, 10 large
> stacks, each with 50 cards or more, containing dozens of controls per
> card. Since my primary project for the last 2 years uses that setup, I
> haven't been able to use the Project Browser because it isn't practical.
>
> 1. The hierarchical organization of the App Browser (AB) is
> indispensable and is the main reason I stay with it. I can see at a
> glance how to drill down to the single object I am looking for and how
> objects are organized on each card by group and layer order. It is by
> far the fastest way to understand how a set of stacks is internally
> structured. The long, scrolling list in the Project Browser (PB) can't
> display the structure as clearly because it is all linear. Multiple
> cards with many objects will run off the top and bottom of the PB
> window and you can't see the overall organization.

This is getting at what Mark asked for - what features specifically do
people use or don't use and why.

I actually like the hierarchical model of the PB (in LC 7.0.6) over the
AB for small projects, but I agree with Jacque that for large projects
the scrolling list of objects on a card in AB is superior for
navigation. Possibly if the PB provided Zoom In/Zoom Out so you could
focus just on one card's objects and the scroll would be limited to that
list until you Zoomed out. Some collapse All/Expand All and Collapse
Selected/Expand Selected buttons or options would be helpful. I also
miss the layer number column that the AB has in the PB, but generally I
do prefer the hierarchical navigation of PB (except for cards with a LOT
of objects not structured in groups)