DP6 more strict?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Oct 6 03:07:36 EDT 2015

On 2015-10-05 09:58, jameshale wrote:
> Except the alternate syntax can no longer be handled.

The alternate syntaxes in many cases don't necessarily do what you
think.

In your case:

repeat with x = 1 to 5

repeat for x = 1 to 5

Is certainly quit clear - one can immediately see what they should do
quite unambiguously.

My personal feeling (having observed people's interaction with the
language for a long time) is that variant forms of syntax which do the
same thing actually make things harder to learn and understand - it
makes the dictionary larger and increases the vocabulary for no real
benefit.

Other forms which are no longer allowed are things like:

   repeat with x = 1 to 5 with messages

This has no function at all - the 'with messages' is ignored - indeed I
think a couple of people have found bugs in their scripts as a result.

Whilst strictness might reduce 'personal expression' to some extent, I
do think it helps the learning and remembering process. It means
everyone uses the same forms to do the same things - making reading each
others code, and helping each other out easier.

> Whatever side of the fence one eventually chooses the docs need to
> match,
> and if this stricter mode is kept some flag about it in both the docs
> and
> the release notes is warranted.

I will happily hold my hands up and say that this was an element of
social engineering on my part.

For a long time I've stopped any changes which make syntax stricter from
being attended to - precisely because of the concern of breaking
scripts. However, this position has always been based on abstract
argument rather than direct data thus this time round I decided to let
this change go through, without any sort of fanfare - just to see if it
truly was a problem.

If the change is kept then we will make sure it is noted much more
clearly in a future build.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps