IPV6...

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Fri Oct 2 14:21:55 EDT 2015

On 10/2/2015 2:10 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Bob Sneidar wrote:
>
> > Seriously, we were told the world would run out of IP addresses 10
> > years ago. It hasn't.
>
> True.  At the moment there are still some places (most in Africa) with
> available IPv4 addresses, while North America and others have
> completely depleted available supply:
>
>     APNIC, which allocates addresses in Asia-Pacific, more or
>     less ran out of available IPv4 addresses in 2011; RIPE,
>     which oversees Europe, the Middle East and parts of Central
>     Asia, was running on fumes by 2012; and LACNIC, which
>     manages Latin America and the Caribbean, hit rock bottom
>     in 2014. All that's left is AFRINIC, which oversees Africa,
>     and is expected to run out of IPv4 addresses in 2019.
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/24/arin_ipv4_interview_ipv6/>
>
> Other regions with fewer devices per capita have been able to stave
> off the inevitable a little while longer through the same sorts of
> efforts that allowed N. America to stretch its pool as long as it has.
>
> But a finite supply is a finite supply.

To add to this discussion: It only SEEMs like there are plenty of IPv4
addresses available because of NAT (Network Address Translation). Most
people get their IP address behind some sort of router doing NAT to the
internet - you see an address like 192.168.#.# but your service provider
is - somewhere in their network - running IPv6 or will be.