Gmail API and Oath 2 - How to access using LiveCode ?

Roland Huettmann roland.huettmann at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 08:45:28 EST 2015

Good day to all )

I am trying to develop a LiveCode application using an SQL database with
the ability to have access to my Gmail account (mail and contacts) and NOT
using the standard IMAP protocol, but using OAuth 2.0. There are other APIs
I would like to access as well.

The idea behind is to UNIFY all messages (email, messages, letters into
contacts and message repository) from all kinds of different sources under
one single umbrella to be able to add notes, tags, sort and filter, extract
time information, etc. And basically I want everything in one place so that
also everything can be related to each-other.

I had a developer developing access for Gmail OAuth 2.0 using Python. It
works half way. It downloads mail messages and creates them as files on my
system in a specified directory. It could be used importing into the
database using LiveCode. But it requires installation of Python and I would
be happier using just LiveCode.

And the problem is still that Google sends a token which must be manually
copied and pasted which is less than user-friendly. And also there is not
full functionality yet. This problem my developer could not solve.

And if all this could be done using LiveCode (script or builder) that would
be fantastic.

( I would not feel fit using LCB - LiveCode Builder language - yet. I would
probably give such task to someone who knows and possibly is a C++
programmer. There is knowledge needed which I currently do not have. If LCS
- LiveCode script - could be used, even better for my own abilities.)

And I was thinking whether or not there is anybody who has used OAuth 2.0
(orOAuth other versions) to get the credential accessing something like
Gmail using LiveCode.

https://developers.google.com/gmail/oauth_overview?hl=en

Is there any experience doing this? Any code fragments? Anyone who has been
accessing using OAuth 2.0?

Also I am interested in IMAP and how to access IMAP through LiveCode.

Regards, Roland