Java version

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Sat Nov 28 11:43:50 EST 2015

On 11/28/2015 10:32 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> Thanks, but the link in the post there times out so I can't get to it. Could you give a brief synopsis? My main confusion is whether I have two versions installed (and can therfore uninstall 8 entirely) or whether it's version 6 that's triggering the update warning.

java has traditionally installed versions side-by-side. A new major
version should not (didn't used to) uninstall a previous version. I
haven't used OS X since 10.5 and perhaps it's changed, but if you were
to go into /Library (or maybe /System/Library ?) you should find a
folder labeled Java. You would find all installed versions, each in its
own director, plys a symlink called "java" which points to the latest. A
lot of java software allows you to explicitly select which java version
you want to run. It's kind of like running multiple versions of python;
you might have software which requires 2.6 or 2.7 or some version of
python3.

Warren