One Rect For All specificaiton

Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Thu Nov 26 02:00:06 EST 2015

Aloha, Colin:

noborder -- 14:9

OK this is useful... just so we are on the same page... "center safe"
refers to the dimensions of the entire screen...right? I need to bring
this down to actual numbers and my head hearts if we stay too theoretical.

Any "live matter margins" (as we say in the graphic design for print
world) are a matter of UI preference/design and not part of this
discussion-- probably best it is not, and we stick with "available
screen space" for this discussion. What the inset margin for elements
should be is very subjective depending on the GUI or "story book scene."

So, let me feed this back to you another way, to test my understanding:

BOTTOM LINE (?):

If we use a ratio of 14:9 (landscape) or 9:14 (portrait) and we design
*all* content at that ratio.. using "noborder" in LC -- it will always
fill all screens. Right?

  If so, that would be an excellent choice as then we have a single rect
with "inset margins for elements per your design requierments"  I like
that -- simple.

REAL NUMBERS DETAIL:

Side note: Adobe defaults to 36 pixels inset margins. If you create a
new doc for "digital publication"  which is just their way of saying
"1/2 inch" which they do in the print apps (where the assumed dpi is 72,
which or course is a meaningless and arbitrary number today that doesn't
really speak to anything "real").

for 2X design:

  (Apple requires 3X for splash screens... seems overkill to me and just
adds weight to the package)

for 2X then the discussion with  my content development team(s) goes
like this:  "OK guys when you open a new doc, (photoshop, illustrator,
InDesign)  set your document size to:  1288p wide x 828 tall for
landscape or 828p x 1228p high for portrait. Remember that the edges
will be the edge of the screen on different devices so inset your live
matter elements accordingly if you don't want them butting right up to
the edge of some screens, top and bottom on iPads or left and right
edges on later 16:9 phones "

For artists on physical media, that later gets scanned, (animated
characters) working on US Letter (8.5 X 11) we tell them: "Please target
a 11"w x 7" high canvas.  Draw on your ltr sized page landscape:
sideways: you can fill the whole 11 inches left to right, but you only
have 7 inches top to bottom (this is a 14:9 space) So draw a top border
at 3/4 from the top edge of your pad and 3/4 from the bottom edge.
Remember, these will be the edges of the screen and so you must fill the
whole thing with background art/texture but if you don't want  some
elements too close to the edge, then inset them by 1/2 inch. If you like
to work on large format media (art pads) just make sure you are working
in 14:9 ratio, if you don't know what that is take your width in inches,
divide by 14 and then multiply by 9 to get your height"

Some artists don't pay attention to this at all, they open a new
document, not thinking one whit about it's size or dimensions, I need to
get ahead of that with this spec.

Sorry to be verbose, but I have actual artwork in progress as we
speak... so need to get out in front of this with well articulated
requirements.

Of course we can just test drive that here...  but others' experience,
is helpful.

BR