Release 8.0 DP 10

-hh hh at livecode.org
Tue Nov 24 21:14:13 EST 2015

> Alejandro wrote:
> Accurate rendering of strokes with different weights requires
> special techniques to get the desired effect:
> http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2012/04/a-closer-look-at-font-rendering/

Hi Alejandro,

this is, once again, not a problem of integers or floating points.

Of course you cannot produce TrueType-output with LC (I said, "apart from antialising and other effects"). You could do if you implement all these font-smoothing-, that is 'eye-tricking'-algorithms. But why should you do so?

Doing this would be exactly what recently Bob S. wrote, to try to have kind of a replacement for postscript.

See the last sentence in that article above:
> "While most Web fonts currently on the market are TrueType-flavored, I am expecting that the industry will largely switch to PostScript, which is the native format nearly all type designers work in (the fonts that are easier to produce)."

'Easier to produce' means here to use mathematical models instead of a list of smoothed raster points as properties of objects. But the output is, at the very end, once again, always a list of raster points for screen or printer.

Hermann
[p.s. You can have postscript fonts even on Raspberry Pi, simply use "TeX" there.]