HTML5 export and Widgets

Peter TB Brett peter.brett at livecode.com
Tue Nov 24 07:21:17 EST 2015

On 24/11/2015 12:03, David Bovill wrote:
> I'm interested in particular how to integrate LiveCode with Javascript and
> in particular the NodeJS community. The benefit is to be able to use any of
> the npm modules out there, or other Javascript libraries and not have to
> rewrite these in LiveScript.
>
> It seems that HTML5 export is not the way to go for a while. I also note
> that Javascript is on the roadmap for Livecode Builder languages - so I
> guess when we eventually would have that we could include a Javascript
> library and wrap it in LiveCode - then export it as a Standloalone HTML5
> app?

Yes, the plan is to be able to call JavaScript functions from extensions
written in LiveCode Builder.  I think this is likely to be implemented
sooner than calling LiveCode Script handlers from JavaScript, but I'm
not sure.

This all depends on the development effort available for HTML5 engine
development beyond the "run LiveCode app in a browser" objective,
whether that's supported by HTML5 Deployment licenses or provided by
open source contributors outside the core dev team.

All the code and build tools for the HTML5 engine are public, so there's
no reason why LiveCode Open Source Edition users who want these features
can't have a go at implementing them themselves if they can't wait for
me to get round to it.  After all, one of the main reasons for going
Open Source in the first place was to enable & empower developers who
have different priorities to the core dev team!

                                     Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.brett at livecode.com>
LiveCode Open Source Team