revStacks hitting my openField handler in library

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Nov 22 18:04:48 EST 2015

Dr. Hawkins wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 7:24 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>> No deficiency.
>
> The deficiency isn't in the messaging system, but the monolithic file
> structure.  The only reason I got into this is the staggering amount of
> space being taken for each checkpoint.
>
> Moving into the 1990s with some kind of revision or version control, or
> even into the 1970s with diff and patch, is a critical need and an
> essential element.  Not having this is a gaping underprovision in something
> that suggests itself for commercial or scientific use.
>
> Yes, I know there are a project or two that try to achieve this.  But this
> shouldn't be a project; it is unacceptable that it isn't integral.
>
> It should be trivial to go back a few minutes, or a couple of hours, to any
> point, and isolate changes. This is not "add on", but basic functionality.

If it were as "trivial" as you suggest you should be able to write a
plugin to handle that in just a few minutes, yes? :)

Which xTalks have you used with that capability which gave you the
expectation?

Unique among xTalks, LiveCode does provide the ability to create
script-only stack files that are just plain text, perfectly suited for
the limitations of modern VCSes.  Why not use that?

For binary stack files, Monte's lcVCS is being used in production on a
number of projects. Perhaps it may be well suited for yours as well.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems