Livecode Licence Rules for dummies ....

sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Sun Nov 15 07:12:48 EST 2015

  Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
  <mailto:use-livecode%40lists.runrev.com?Subject=Re%3A%20Livecode%20Licence%20Rules%20for%20dummies%20....&In-Reply-To=%3C564763C1.3060702%40fourthworld.com%3E>

  wrote on Sat Nov 14, 2015:

> Francis Nugent Dixon wrote:
> >/I can’t understand your licence rules, especially as they have been much />/modified since I BOUGHT 5.5 quite some time ago. /
> The license that accompanied your software is the only one that governs
> the software you received.
>
> Any changes to the license for later versions only affect the versions
> shipped with that license.
>
> --
>    Richard Gaskin
>    Fourth World Systems
>    Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
There are complexer cases that are not fully covered by Richard's
definition.
Due to my kickstarter contribution I have got a commercial licence that
is valid up to August 2016. Legally that would mean IMHO that I am
entitled to develop and distribute software under the conditions of this
license, particularly

- to use any commercial-like Livecode version released until August 2016
*forever* and without any restrictions to the possible revenue from
sales and not subject to the new subscription scheme, in case I use the
latest available Livecode version of August 2016.

Regrettably the license rules have changed now and the changes - in my
limited perspective - were not fully transparent to me.  I would think
that of the two present "near-commercial" licenses only the "business"
version would be fully equivalent to the conditions of my own present
licence valid up to August 2016.

Unfortunately I have been lured to subscribe to the Indy-license thereby
extending my present license from August 2016 to August 2018.

Kevin Miller (on July 2 and repeatedly later on) had invited me in a
personal post:

> What Can You Do With Indie?
> Launch a startup
> Win competitions
> Build an app that can change the world
> Teach kids to code
> Teach university students and beginners to code
> Develop interactive educational apps
> Launch ebooks
> Launch apps
> ...The List Goes On!
>
> What Will You Do With Indie?
>
> You tell us! We can't wait to see your name on the LiveCode Stories page.
>
> Here's what's up:
>
> The price of an Indie License is going up and we don't want it to
> affect you. $499 will get you an Indie License for 2 years and it will
> keep you at the low price of $299/year forever after that. Whatever
> you do with Indie, make sure you get it at the right price. You can
> lock that price in now:
>
> http://livecode.com/lock-in-your-price
There was no mention that you had to continue a "subscription" after the
added two years to be able to produce and sell Livecode-built software
and that with "Indy" there would be a revenue limit. I discovered that
only later when looking up my personal Livecode account.

The URL <livecode.com/lock-in-your-price> led to the Cleverbridge
website <https://www.cleverbridge.com> where an additional VAT sum was
added to the price of  $499, which was not mentioned by Kevin and which
I overlooked initially when accepting Kevin's proposal.

I am also informed on my personal Livecode account that a fixed VAT sum
(stipulated on the basis of the dollar-euro exchange rate of July 2015)
will be charged each year if I prolong the subscription after 2018.-

These changes could have been handled in a more transparent way by Livecode.

I am considering to revoke my added subscription of Livecode for August
2016 - August 2018 in case an acceptable solution how to use my present
commercial license with its conditions - valid up to August 2016 -
cannot be found. I hope that until August 2016 Livecode will come up
with a usable and stable version that allows me to work in my special
fields of interest, a version without regressions and bugs that I then
can  use *forever* under the terms of my present commercial license.

Kind regards,

Wilhelm Sanke
Emeritus Professor, University of Kassel, Germany

---