Area of Irregular Polygon

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Nov 7 19:09:41 EST 2015

Roger,

try this (I've done some minimal testing, so do please check it ...)
it assumes the polygon is closed

function getArea pPts
    if line 1 of pPts <> line -1 of pPts then return 0
    put 0 into tArea
    put empty into oldL
    repeat for each line L in pPts
       if oldL is not empty then
          put item 1 of L - item 1 of oldL into dx
          put item 2 of oldL + (item 2 of L - item 2 of oldL) / 2 into avgY
          put dx * avgY into thisArea
          add thisArea to tArea
       end if
       put L into oldL
    end repeat
    return abs(tArea)
end getArea

NB you could shorten it, but I left each math step separate to make it
easier to debug / check

-- Alex.