How do you handle the poor performance of LC 7?

Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Sat May 30 14:19:39 EDT 2015

And then.... there is the rest of us... how many I don't know.

I'm not  "Programmer" per se... I did some PHP, kinda grok JS... and
they make me very edgy if I start thinking about useing them to getting
work done. ...

Mostly   I just "need to get stuff done today!"

I can hack up a stack for some volunteer to load .epubs, extract the
xhtml files and then dig out pull quotes for me into an on-board
database, dump those to a  pipe delimited file and then on the server
using the same language read that file and upload all that data into a
MySQL date base and then use RevIgniter to run the web site.

I can take visual assets from our designers here and in less then 30
minutes throw them into an app. open it in Xcode and pop it onto my
iPhone and say "See I told you so.. the type is really way too small."

I can load 1000 images in space (loc -1000,-1000) get their rects and
save this and post to the online database.

I can create an interface in a few hours for some 14 year old girls to
go thru and fix titles and description to art work.

If I need to process some horrible mass of text.. .I can just whip open
my "text processor stack" which has 100 cards all load with an
incredible mess of buttons that I' developed over 20 years of doing
xTalk, pick a card tweak a script  process .ics calendars, put them to
html... on and on

But... I'm not a programmer...

So I get it that there may be a lot of weeping and wailing if you are
doing industrial systems. In that world perhaps "the time has passed for
Livecode to be considered a serious development tool."  But I think this
misses the point about the vision of the future context(s) where
software that is this incredibly easy to use and for such an amazing
array of jobs... has incredible value for the masses of would be geeks
who will never, ever worry about 20,000 of anything and who would like
to code but not have it be so "painful"  and, as they mature, have a
toolbox they can use to get serious work to done.

So "the rest of us" I really believe that there really *nothing* out
there like LiveCode that can give me this kind of freedom and create
power to do this kind of diverse tool generation in such short time
frames across all these usage contexts -- desktop, standalone, server,
mobile, all working seamlessly together.

I suppose someone will try to convince me that some other language X can
do all these things if I took the time to learn it... But, I'm familiar
with enough of them... I've hever hired people who are "experts" in
those languages and they time frames for getting stuff done just drive
me nuts after years of doing xTalk.

I built a complete revision control system for Indesign documents here
in house in under 20 hours... we have been using it for 5 years (since
EOL adobe version control) with zero problems... )  I did this crazy
wizard for the local desktops here on the LAN that sends search strings
to a CGI on the big server (400,000 plus images) in house tha calls a
shell command to use the locate database and returns results that the
user can filter as he sees fit... waaaaay better than spotlight!

total lines of code in the app and the cgi on the server: less than 300.

I just don't think I'm going to get that anywhere else.

That said.. 7.0.5 is frustrating. Crashed 5 times on me to today... and
I didn't have time to send in any bug reports... I saved one crash log..
will send later.. So, yeah, if I were in a corporate environment and
some software manager were looking over my shoulder, I can understand
the he might not take LC seriously.

Swasti Astu, Be Well!
Brahmanathaswami

Kauai's Hindu Monastery