Location of text in a field

Peter Bogdanoff bogdanoff at me.com
Wed May 27 14:20:51 EDT 2015

Hi,

Is there a function that returns the pixel location of a particular char in a field?

I’m working in LC 6.1.3 to change a whole bunch of long one-line fields of text to short one-line fields.

As I go to LC 7, these fields are displaying text wider than before in OS X (but not Windows) and I need that text to continue to line up under images.

I have, what’s called in music theory, “roman numeral analysis" which is text. This lies under musical notation which are images.

The text is currently a series of 1-3 chars separated by many space characters in a long field. I’m trying to program a method to put those 1-3 chars in their own fields, each field now displaying text where it originally was.

I tried substituting tabs for the spaces, but it doesn’t consistently display the same as before.

The text must remain as text as it is searchable.

Any suggestions?

Peter Bogdanoff
UCLA