Accursed backdrop

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue May 26 12:10:47 EDT 2015

Mark Wieder wrote:
> On 05/25/2015 10:57 PM, Richmond wrote:
>
>> This is a load of #$%^@& and needs to be sorted out:
>
> Agreed. I actually hadn't played with the backdrop on linux in 7x
> before. I got the same results as you, with the exception that I was
> using two monitors, so I brought up a terminal prompt in the second
> window and killed the process.

Ironically, last time I demo'd LC at a conference I had to run my
presentation using a much older version because I make all my slide
shows in LC and the current version has serious problems with fullscreen
on Linux #14638 and 14640).

And option control labels become unreadable once they get focus (#11676).

And we're unable to copy or paste styled text with other apps (#13197
and 14416), or when the Clipboard is too large (#13566).

And sometimes the answer dialog opens behind other stacks, not seen by
the user and causing confusion when nothing can be interacted with (#13888).

And....

I can appreciate the business case for focusing on urgent Xcode
compatibility issues recently, resulting in several "Stable" releases
that may be stable on Mac for iOS deployment but with enough outstanding
issues on Linux that for a great many apps we're unable to ship
professional work on that platform.

It would be nice if iOS could settle down enough to let the team deliver
a "Stable" build for Linux too.

Several members of the engine team have done outstanding work on the
Linux engine, notably Ali, Peter, and Mark when he has time, and
Fraser's GDK integration and other efforts have been a godsend.

But it seems they've had so many other priorities that they haven't been
allocated the time to bring the same level of fit-and-finish to Linux as
they do for Mac.

I would welcome that as one of the goals for LC 7.0.6, at least for the
top dozen or so most critical issues that prevent professional work on
Linux.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems